Assignment #4: Personal Learning Theory
Throughout the term, you have reviewed many different perspectives on learning. Scholars and researchers have been debating learning approaches for almost as long as we have been learning. For this final assignment, Achievement First is interviewing you to work as a consultant to improve student learning. Part of your interview involves making a presentation about your personal learning theory. Relying on information learned and read in this course and at least two (2) outside references, create a six to eight (6-8) slide presentation describing your personal learning theory. You may choose presentation software you prefer. As you develop your presentation, include:
- Describe the target audience with which you expect to work (e.g., 8 years old, special education, all-male). Discuss the theories or element of theories you have learned in this course that apply to the target audience you have described.
- Prioritize the concepts that you must consider when formulating your personal learning theory. Next, explain your personal learning theory. Based upon your personal learning theory, describe the process by which you think people learn. Note: This is your personal theory that encompasses ideas or improves upon other theories studied throughout this course.
- Outline a strategy for using your personal learning theory to help your target population learn.
- Create a new and / or improved learning theory based on the theories or elements of theories that you identified in criterion #3. Create a new name for your learning theory. Describe the manner in which you would apply this new and / or improved theory to the target audience to help them learn.
The format of the report is to be as follows:
- Format the PowerPoint presentation with headings on each slide and relevant graphics (photographs, graphs, clip art, etc.), ensuring that the presentation is visually appealing and readable from eighteen (18) feet away. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- In addition to the six to eight (6-8) slides required, include a title slide containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The title slide is not included in the required slide length.
Note: You will be graded on the quality of your answers, the logic/organization of the report, your language skills, and your writing skills.
- Analyze the basic principles of learning theories
- Develop a customized theory of learning specific to the students given environment
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in learning theory.