- BEFORE SUBMISSION–AND BEFORE REALLY STARTING ON THE DOING OF THIS PAPER, please make use of the following links (if trouble with any link, try this–right click and "open in new window"; sometimes an item will flash to the top or bottom of your screen or go to a downloads folder):
- INSTRUCTION SHEET for Assignment 3–with key details: HIS105_Assignment 3_Instructions_Dr_Stansbury.docx
- WRITING GUIDE for Assignment 3: HIS105_Writing_Guide_Assmt3.docx
- Outline/Template for Assignment 3: Outline_assmt3.docx
- SOURCES AND TIPS for Assignment 3: Sources and Tips for Assignment 3_HIS105.docx
- HOW TO SUBMIT THE ASSIGNMENT 3: HIS105_How_to_submit_Assmt3.docx
- VIDEO HELP on doing Assignment 3 (if needed,right click and open in new window): https://cdnapisec.kaltura.com/index.php/extwidget/preview/partner_id/956951/uiconf_id/43830551/entry_id/1_zuashtgg/embed/dynamic
- America as Superpower–Confrontation in a Nuclear Age (1947-Present)
Assignment 3: America as Superpower—Confrontation in a Nuclear Age (1947-Present)
Due Week 9 and worth 120 points
In Assignment 3, we ask you to write about America’s international superpower role for the long period since World War II to the present using a Writing Guide provided in Blackboard. Your paper must use a minimum of three sources from the list provided below.
Your first step to completing this paper is to pick your topic. Below you will find two lists—one refers to Cold War period (1947–1990) examples of confrontation and one list provides examples of confrontations occurring in the Post-Cold War period (1991–Present). Each example will involve a specific strategic concern and confrontation. Review the examples below and choose one strategic concern and one confrontation from each time period to focus on in your paper. Once you have chosen your examples, review the sources noted below.
Cold War examples—choose one strategic concern and one confrontation that illustrates that concern:
Cold War strategic concerns: Containment, Domino Theory, “MAD Doctrine”
Cold War confrontations: Berlin Airlift; Korean War; Vietnam War; Cuban Missile Crisis
Post-Cold War examples—choose one strategic concern and one confrontation that illustrates that concern:
Post-cold War strategic concerns: Terrorism, Rogue States; WMD
Post-Cold War confrontations: First Persian Gulf War; Invasion of Afghanistan; Invasion of Iraq;
Bombing of Libya (2011)
Sources: Schultz, p. 462–7, 485–8, 499–506, 535–540, 560–7. See also https://www.thoughtco.com/mutually-assured-destruction-1221190, and https://www.huffpost.com/entry/libya-intervention-daalder_n_6809756.
You may use any two (or more) of the following sources that relates to your paper.
George H. W. Bush. March 6, 1991. Address before a Joint Session of the Congress on the Cessation of the Persian Gulf Conflict. http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/bushnwo.html
S. Chace. Summer, 2015. The Cuban Missile Crisis: Leadership as Disturbance, Informed by History. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bth&AN=110092272&site=eds-live&scope=site
Winston Churchill. March, 1946. Iron Curtain Speech, Fulton College, Missouri. https://winstonchurchill.org/resources/speeches/1946-1963-elder-statesman/the-sinews-of-peace/
John F. Dulles. January 2, 1954. Secretary Dulles’ Strategy of Massive Retaliation. http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/dulles.html
Colin Powell. February 6, 2003. Transcript of Powell’s UN Presentation. http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/02/05/sprj.irq.powell.transcript/
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Use Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different from other formats like APA. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed, double spaced between lines, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow SWS format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the Sources page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- The paper must be submitted (uploaded and attached) in the course shell provided online.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Discuss the rise of the United States to a world “superpower” from 1940 to present day and how the formal international policies of government influenced the role of America as a policeman of the world.