- Choose a mall, either Irvine Spectrum, South Coast Plaza, or a mall close to your home (include name and address-must be a large mall). Walk through the mall observing masculine and feminine gender differences. Ask yourself if the gender codes are rigid or loose? What are the gender codes at different stores? Visit at least 10 stores observing display windows, staff, products, visuals, music, shoppers, etc. Do not take notes while in a store. ONLY OBSERVE INSIDE AND WRITE DOWN OBSERVATIONS AFTER EXITING THE STORE TO REDUCE CONFLICT.
- Find a bookstore, grocery store, drug store, or Target to review the magazine section. Choose one male-focused magazine and one female-focused magazine (include name and issue-you do not have to purchase it, but you must be able to refer to specific content). Ask yourself if the gender codes are rigid or loose in the magazine? Are the codes in the male-focused magazine the same as the codes in the female-focused magazine? What are the different visuals being used to code gendered messages? Take notes.
- Go to 3 of your social media sites (Facebook, Instagram, snapchat, kik, tinder, yik yak, etc. Review the photos of 2 male and 2 female friends/associates/people. If you don’t have 3 sites, go to one and look at 2 male and 2 female friends/associates/people. Reflect on the documentaries that you have watched. Ask yourself if the gender codes discussed in the documentary are reflected in their photos? What are the different visuals being used to code gendered messages? How have the men and women been impacted by media in your opinion, if at all? Take notes.
Type a 2-page, double spaced essay with no name or date. Use all the paper for writing. Answer these questions using the analytical notes from your field trip.
- What impact do these gender codes have on shoppers? Explain differences between males and females if any.
- What impact does do these gender codes have on readers? Explain differences between males and females if any.
- What impact do these gender codes have on regular people as they take photos of themselves? Explain differences between males and females.
- Is gender power? If not, what is it? If it is, why don't we talk about gender in this way—as power?