Critical Thinking Exercise
This activity is to get the student thinking about their own thinking. It is not intended to assess the knowledge base of the topic.
Identify a topic and use the nursing process to create a mindmap.
- Develop a mind-map that describes a nursing topic of interest.
- Provide the topic of interest in the center of the map and draw a circle around it.
- Connect the 5 steps of the nursing process (Assessment, Diagnosis, Planning, Implementation, Evaluation) as the main ideas connected to the topic of interest. Add additional thoughts and ideas to the main ideas with lines/circles.
- Use keywords or pictures (keep it legible)
- Let ideas flow and use lines to show connections
- Use colors and pictures for creativity.
- Include a written description of your mindmap in a 500-750 word essay, with your mindmap pasted into the essay for reference. Discuss your mindmap in an organized way as you provide the written description. Use clear headings. Connect your explanation to references in your readings. Include at least three (3) scholarly citations.
The focus of this activity is to review the content creatively, identify relationships and produce innovative ideas. After completion, a review of the map may reveal gaps in knowledge related to the topic of interest.