Assignment W7 – 5010
Ethical Theory and Application
In higher education, especially at the graduate and doctoral levels, you are seeking to become a scholar-practitioner, what some might call a pracademic. Thus far in this course, we have focused on identifying and approaching potential ethical conflicts within public sector organizations. The goal has largely been to support efficacy as a public administrator—the practitioner side of the equation. In this assignment, we shift to the scholar side of the equation. You will explore the different theories associated with ethics, illustrating a mastery of the basic assumptions and application of each. In doing so, you will further develop your understanding of the previously discussed values and ethics, but will also develop your scholarly vocabulary, supporting the ability to understand, communicate, and apply these concepts at a higher level.
You will develop a paper that explores specific ethical theories, including how they might be applied in a public or nonprofit organization. This paper should be 4–5 pages in length, excluding cover page, abstract (if included), references, and attachments (if included). The paper must include:
· Analysis of specific ethical theories, providing insights into how each might apply in a public sector setting.
· Evaluation of the challenges in identifying and addressing ethical concerns within a public sector organization.
· Evaluation of how ethical codes might be used to clarify and minimize ethical issues within a public sector organization.
· Analysis of legal implications that identify and address ethical concerns within a public sector organization.
· Evaluation of potential limitations of ethical codes in ensuring an ethical organizational environment in a public sector organization.
· Written communication: Your writing should clearly identify where each grading criteria or part of the assignment is addressed. Your points must be logical, substantive, and relevant based on the evidence presented. The writing must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
· Resources: Your ideas must be supported with relevant recent, scholarly sources published within the past five (5) years and properly cited and referenced in current APA style.
· Length of paper: 5 typed, double-spaced pages, not including the title page and references.
· Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
· Use Scoring Guide in attachments to see what the scoring and grading criteria are for this paper.