Consider the following scenario through the lens of an experienced early childhood educator. Create an easy to read, accessible reference guide for newly hired educators, surrounding best practices in language and literacy development.
- *Explain the relationship between language and literacy development.
- *Analyze the roles oral language and effective communication play in literacy development.
- *Determine best practices for promoting literacy development.
- *Construct developmentally appropriate curriculum that promotes literacy learning.
- *Recommend methods for supporting diverse language learners and their families.
- *Evaluate children’s language and literacy development using evidence-based strategies.
You are an educator that has been working in an early childhood program for several years. You have developed an expertise in language and literacy development in young children, and have gained a respected reputation for engaging children in research-based, best practices.
Your supervisor has asked you to share your knowledge with newly hired educators by creating a section in the program’s handbook surrounding best practices in language use and literacy skills development.
The guide must include an introduction that highlights the overall importance of integrating intentional language and literacy teaching within a curriculum, as well as include information regarding the following topics:
- *At least one key language feature of young children, specifically focusing on the age groups: Birth-1 year, 12-24 months, 3-5 years
- -Include at least one ready-to-implement activity that will support these language features
- *Two key features in communication-rich programs and learning spaces, focusing specifically on examples of responsive adults, teaching intentionally, repetition, and print-rich environments
- *A list of three literacy-supportive materials for each specific age group, as well as an
- explanation on how these materials support language and literacy skills throughout the various developmental domains:
- Preschool age children
- *Includes one illustration or graphic, highlighting key environmental attributes that enhance literacy and language use within an early childhood program
- *Three best practices in language and literacy development, focused specifically on young English Language Learners and their families
- *At least one way to incorporate ongoing, authentic language and literacy assessment for various age groups