Assignment : Federal Taxes
Congress has asked you to evaluate the individual tax brackets in the federal tax code and make several recommendations to improve the fairness of the tax brackets. Using the Internet and Strayer Library, research the current federal tax brackets for individual taxpayers.
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
- Give your opinion as to whether you believe the current progressive federal income tax structure is fair for most Americans. Provide support for your response.
- Create an argument for what you believe should be the maximum federal income tax rate an individual should have to pay. Provide support for your argument.
- Analyze the potential benefits that a flat tax structure might have on both taxpayers and the United States Treasury. Defend or critique a flat tax structure.
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as academic resources. You have access to Strayer University’s Online Library at https://research.strayer.edu or iCampus University Library Research page at https://icampus.strayer.edu/library/research.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze the concepts, rules, and application of federal taxation related to, individuals, corporations, tax-exempt entities, partnerships, S corporations, estates and gifts, and fiduciaries
- Review tax research processes, practice, and other tax issues.