Jill is conducting an experiment on the effects of story themes (traditional vs. non-traditional) on memory for story details. She is paying participants $5 to complete a research protocol that takes about 40 minutes. Prior to beginning the protocol, participants sign a consent form. Jill is present during this time to answer questions and clarify areas of concern. Sarah reads the consent form, agrees to participate and begins the protocol. After about 12 minutes, she gets up and tells Jill that she ‘has to go.’ She says she is sorry but she cannot complete the protocol. Jill offers her an additional $10 to stay in the study and complete the required tasks.
Is Jill’s behavior ethical? Why or why not? Use the relevant section of the APA Code of Ethics to justify your response.
Part2-Search for research articles from peer-reviewed publications in the University Library. Examples of peer-reviewed publications are listed in Table 2.1 in Chapter 2 of Methods in Behavioral Research.
Select four research articles to review. Include at least one applied research article and one basic research article. Be sure to apply the scientific method to evaluate the evidence presented in the selected articles. Use these articles as a framework for completing the questionnaire.
Write a 100- to 500-word answer to each of the following questions:
- What is the purpose of each of the sections in a typical research article?
- What are the steps to critically evaluate research articles and how does the scientific method help you do this?
- What is the importance of research in behavioral sciences?
- What is the relationship between applied research and basic research? Provide an example from your selected studies, of how each contributes to the body of knowledge.
- What ethical issues can you identify in the selected articles? How were the issues addressed or neglected?
- Identify three possible research topics that you might want to explore further as you go through this course.
- List appropriate sources, including databases that you might use when exploring these topics.
Cite the articles using a reference page.
Format your answers according to APA guidelines.
Chapter 1 and 2