MRKT 310 Principles of Marketing
Week 7 Writing Assignment
Integrated Marketing Communications, and the Changing
- Integrated Marketing Communications. Student understands how integrated marketing communications adds value for customers.
- Marketing communications objectives. Student can develop marketing communications objectives using the AIDA framework.
- Promotion mix. Student can select the appropriate promotion tool to be used for different marketing communications objectives.
- Media strategy. Student can design a simple message and media plan for a product or service offering.
- This assignment assesses your ability to relate integrated marketing communications concepts to your product or service offering and the target market you selected. Here you will let your creative side shine as you think through how you would design the marketing communications for your product or service to effectively and efficiently communicate a clear, consistent and compelling message to your target market over the next year.
- The course content does not cover IMC in great detail and you may want to refer to some open source references for more information on message design. A good one is: http://www.caad.au.edu/attachments/article/43/Class%207-Creative%20IMC%20Message%20Strategies.pdf
- Prepare your assignment beginning with a title page to include your name, your product or service, and your target market. Then answer each of the following four questions in order number them before your response. There is no need to repeat the question.
- Integrated Marketing Communications. Considering your new target market and any modifications, new product line extensions or new products you may have developed to serve the new target market needs, create your 'Big Idea" to be the basis of the message strategy for all your marketing communications.
- Marketing communications objectives. Write at least three marketing communications objectives using the AIDA framework discussed in the course content.
- Promotion mix. For each of the three marketing communications objectives written in number 2, discuss which of the promotion tools would be the best choice to reach each of the three marketing communications objective. One tool must be advertising (traditional or online) You may have more than one promotion mix tool for any given marketing communications objective.
- Media strategy. Discuss at least two of your media choices that you believe will best reach your target market with your advertising. Be specific with your choices, e.g. HGTV, Rehab Addict, because the product or service is targeting a do-it-yourself target market, or Home Depot website banner ads for the same target market. Or Morning TV National News, Good Morning America and The Today Show, 1st hour because your target market is educated urban workers. If using social media, discuss which social media and how they will be used to accomplish which objective.
- Be sure to follow all of the submission requirements outlined in the syllabus and provided below again for your easy reference:
• Prepare as a word processed document (such as Microsoft Word).
• Your assignment should be the equivalent of two pages of double-spaced text, approximately 1/2 page for each of the four questions.
• Be sure your name, writing assignment number, and the name of your product or service are on the first page of your writing assignment.
• Use a simple 12-point font such as Times New Roman. Use black ink for majority of your work and only use colors if it enhances your ability to communicate your thoughts.
• If the writing assignment requires external research, be sure to use footnotes and include a bibliography. You may use MLA or APA style, or any other college-level style guide. More information about using a style guide can be found in the UMUC's virtual library accessible from your lo classroom or at umiak.emu/library.
• Upload your word processed document in your lo assignments by the due date in the lo calendar.
Refer to the grading rubric for all the assignments. Be sure to note that 20% of your grade on this assignment will be based on your grammar, composition, adherence to the submission requirements, and use of an appropriate college-level style guide for writing and referencing.