Watch a Disney Movie/Musical and address the following questions in essay form:
- How is a Disney movie/musical similar to an opera? List at least 8 similarities you can find between Disney’sFrozen (or the movie you chose) and the operatic form using information found in your notes and text. Use terms from class where possible.
- What larger purpose do the characters’ songs play?
- Who has leitmotifs in this movie and when are they heard? Why would a songwriter/composer use leitmotifs?
Keep in mind that these questions are requesting specific answers. If you have chosen option #1 and have not seen your movie for a while, you will need to watch it again. Vague answers will not count for full credit.
Watch a musical movie of your choice (West Side Story, most Disney movies – Moana works well, South Pacific, etc) and answer the questions below.
The link below will direct you to "Frozen" but you may chose a different film if it fits the requirements. it will open in a new tab. You might be prompted to install a plugin called "Silverlight" to view the video.
If you encounter any problems while viewing the video, please contact SWANK, the streaming provider:
Digital Support Group
Toll Free: (866) 815-7719 or +1 (314) 984-6295
- Choose a movie to watch this week that incorporates musical elements (Disney movies without musical elements will not count toward this assignment). To be safe, choose a movie classified as a musical or email me about your choice.
- Answer the questions above accurately to display knowledge of the content for this week
- Draw comparisons between 19th century musical techniques and contemporary entertainment styles
- Watch a movie with an ear toward analyzing the musical elements and identifying how music can advance a plot and contribute to the story.